Thursday, April 23, 2009

Exhibitions in South Florida this summer

Dear Class, 

Thank you for a great semester. I really enjoyed exploring art history with you. I hope that you all have a great summer and take some occasions to look at art wherever you go. 

Here are some good exhibitions on view in South Florida:

Two good collections are on view at the Museum of Art, Fort Lauderdale: Gordon Locksley + George T. Shea Collection and  Francie Bishop Good + David Horvitz Collection. See http://moaflnsu.org/

Miami Art Museum: Neo Hoo Doo: Art for a Forgotten Faith & Recent Acquisitions. miamiartmuseum.org

Museum of Contemporary Art, North Miami: Abstract Cinema and Technology (through 5-10-09). Convention - begins 5-21-09. http://www.mocanomi.org/schedule.htm

***Museum of Contemporary Art Annex at Goldman Warehouse in Wynwood: Luis Gispert through June 27th. This artist's work is very exciting and sensationalist. I believe many of you will enjoy it. http://www.mocanomi.org/schedule.htm

I also highly recommend the Wolfsonian on Miami Beach - the cafe there is also excellent. The collection and exhibitions there are relevant to what we discussed in the last couple of classes.

The Rubell Collection and the Margulies Collection have continuing exhibitions. 

Finally the Frost Museum at FIU has a show of Dennis and Debra Scholl's Collection, in addition to BFA exhibitions. 

Of course, there are gallery exhibitions as well. At Dorsch Gallery there will be a 2-D design and printmaking show inspired by the Schongauer and Durer prints we studied together. This opens May 9th. On June 13th, we'll host a new painting show. I hope to see you around!

I wish you all the best of luck in your endeavors and that appreciating art helps you enjoy- or be aware -during your journey. 

Sincerely, 
Tyler Emerson-Dorsch



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for taking so much time and interest in our learning - I know how much work it is because of my sister who teaches the same subject.
    After this semester I can look back on all of the art I have been so fortunate to experience over the years and appreciate it even more.
    See you in the fall!
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete
  2. I gotta say, it was a joy being in your classroom and your method of teaching is fantastic and I learned a lot, even if I couldn't keep up with some of the reading *coughbaxandallchp26chp27cough*.

    Your sheer enthusiasm in the subject just made this class all the better. I also love the blog and especially the resources which I have yet to fully explore. Hope to stop by the Dorsch soon; Schongauer and Durer are the greatest.

    ReplyDelete